NJROTC Award Ceremony Celebrates Hardwork and Commitment

By Garrett Ashley, Reporter

Last week, the NJROTC company had its annual award ceremony commemorating the exceptional students who have taken the core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment to heart in their personal and professional lives.

The night began with an Invocation presented by cadet Blake Knight as well as the singing of the national anthem by Destiny Goodpasture.

Lieutenant Colonel Eric Larson, the Senior Naval Science Instructor, then opened with remarks including his career in the United States Marine Corps; thanking his partner in the program, Chief Greg Blakeman, for his 35 years of service to the United States Navy; and acknowledging the great work performed by the entire unit and its affect upon the whole school.

Then, our Principal Mr. Greg Dunn spoke at length about his appreciation for the program and how it betters the SWAMP in its mission to develop respectful, responsible, and productive citizens.  He even gave a thought to making NJROTC a required class for all students for at least one semester to introduce them to a military structure and ingrain an appreciation for the Armed Services.

After his speech, Mr. Dunn handed the reins over to the Cadet Commanding Officer, Sarah Richey, who announced the award recipients.  Those cadets and the awards the received are as follows:

Top Chocolate Seller– Lydia McGregor

NJROTC Varsity Letter- Travis Cowles, Garrett Ashley, Ashton Bell, Dana Aldarawish, Dakota Smith, Luke Rhoton, Katrina Fjeld, Logan Flesher, Sarah Richey, 

Greenwood High School Superior Cadet Award– Say Htoo, Julian Rivera, Jacob Dillard, Kaylee Blake, Kevin Moreno,  Austin Yates, Joel Muamba, Phuong Pham, Trace Sutton, David Weldon, Yamato Hagiwara, Aung Hein, Kerri Williams, Hailey Welson, Brandon Perez and Emma-Grace Young

The National Guard Award– Ashton Bell

The Association of the United States Army Award– Soe Maung & Ester Nu

The Scottish Rite Award– Logan Hendrick

The Daughters of American Revolution Award– Dana Aldarawish

The Veterans of Foreign Wars Award– Dakota Smith (also received a second place marksmanship medal)

The Military Officers Association of America Award– Elijah Hammond

The United States Daughters of 1812 Award– Niang Dim

The Navy League Theodore Roosevelt Award– Kris Dotts

The Military Order of the Purple Heart Award– Luke Rhoton

The National Sojourner Award– Jamie Stewart

The American Legion Military Excellence Award– Khup Niang

The Sons of the American Revolution Award– Makayla Potter

The Stephen Decatur Award– Cameron Nicholson

The Daedalian Award– Lo Pow

The Reserve Officers Association Award– Bah Reh

The Non-Commissioned Officers Association Award– Ashila Pluhs

The Sons of Confederate Veterans Hunley Award– Cin Tuai

The American Legion Scholastic and Military Excellence Award– Katrina Fjeld (also received the Distinguished Cadet ribbon for the Sophomore class.)

The American Veterans Award– Logan Flesher (also received two first place marksmanship medals, a top marksman plaque and the Distinguished Cadet Ribbon for the Junior Class.)

The Military Order of World Wars– Sarah Richey (also received a first place drill competition award and a third place marksmanship medal. ) 

Senior Plaques were received by those cadets who are graduating this year so that they may look back upon their tenure in the unit with pride.  The cadets who received this award are Jeremy Penrose, Soe Maung, Andrew Mayes-Holland, Kane Yates, Sangita Shankar, Ambika Tamang, Garrett Ashley, Mason Long, Nailen Martinez and Nailin Martinez.

After the ceremony, the Greenwood NJROTC Company provided a meal to all in attendance.  Please give these students the recognition that they deserve.