What’s it like being a Coach’s Kid?

By Meredith Clack and Mekayla Van Wyk

Back Row left to right: Isaac, Coach Stansbury. Front Row left to right: Luke, Mrs. Stansbury, Noah

This year the Western Kentucky Men’s Basketball Team made it to the Final Four of the NIT with the guidance of head coach Rick Stansbury. Coach Stansbury has been the head coach for two years now at WKU, showing great guidance and the characteristics of a successful basketball coach.

Stansbury’s basketball career began in high school where he played for Meade County High in Brandenburg, Kentucky. Stansbury began his coaching career as a student assistant at Cumberland College (now University of the Cumberlands), he then moved to Austin Peay State University where he served six years as a student assistant.

After leaving Austin Peay, Stansbury became the assistant coach at Mississippi State, eventually becoming the head coach. He led the Bulldogs to play in 11 postseason tournament games in 14 seasons (six NCAA and five NIT). 

Stansbury went on to be the first MSU basketball coach to make 25 appearances in tournament games. He also achieved the highest national ranking in school history and set MSU’s school record for consecutive 20-win seasons. Stansbury retired from MSU in 2012, saying he wanted to spend more time with his young children and family.

Stansbury went back into coaching as an assistant at Texas A&M in 2014 then taking the head coach position in 2015. On March 28, 2016, Stansbury was hired as head coach at Western Kentucky University, where he remains today.

Coach Stansbury has three sons Isaac, Noah, and Luke, two who attend Greenwood, while the other attends Drakes Creek Middle. Noah is a Freshman and Isaac is a Junior, and both play Varsity basketball for GHS. We asked them a couple of questions about what it is like having a dad who coaches at the college level.

Noah and Isaac both believe they have a “little bit” of an edge of of players by having a dad as a coach.

Isaac thought having a coach as a dad was cool, however Noah just thinks “it’s alright.”         

The Stansbury boys talk to WKU senior on the basketball team, Justin Johnson.

Last year Noah and Isaac attended Bowling Green High School and Junior High, respectively. They both said they enjoyed Greenwood more than Bowling Green. Isaac and Noah both play Varsity basketball for Greenwood, Isaac plays all positions and Noah plays point guard. They both started playing basketball at a young age, Isaac at eight and Noah “forever”. Both boys said they have friendships with the athletes on the WKU Basketball Team, Isaac added they hang out with them often.

We concluded the interview by asking them if they planned on playing college basketball. Both replied with a maybe, and Isaac said that if he did, he would play for his dad at WKU.