Makeup vs. Natural

By Allyra Lindsey

Alicia Keys is almost 2 years into her decision to not wear makeup. She decided to do it for her journey toward self- empowerment and continues to go without makeup, not only on her free days, but also on her concert, red carpet, and magazine photography days. She wrote of her no makeup pledge in a essay on Lenny Letter, saying “Cause I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.” Many women and girls around the world agree with her but, many women feel more empowerment with makeup on.

Going makeup free gives you a sense of freedom and many women wish that it was normal to not have to feel that you need to be perfect all the time. There are many benefits of not wearing makeup, one is that you definitely save money. According to a video by Money, the average woman will spend $43 on one trip to go get makeup. They also found an average woman will spend $15,000 on beauty products in her lifetime. ($3,770 on mascara, $2,750 on eyeshadows, and $1,780 go to lipsticks) Imagine how much you would save going without the products.

Also, your skin will simply be able to breathe. Many of the foundations and concealers used to cover up skin imperfections are the ones clogging up your pores and as a result causing them in the first place. A plus is you would save lots of time in the morning not worrying about makeup.

Alicia Keys #nomakeup movement

On the other hand, there are many benefits of wearing makeup. It boosts your confidence. Sonia Kashuk, makeup artist and founder of Sonia Kashuk Beauty said, “I am hugely supportive of Alicia Keys and the movement away from the heavy makeup, but I also believe that even the slightest bit of makeup can help create… a more perfected version of yourself. It is a little polish for your attitude and look.” If doing something makes you feel better about yourself you should do it.

Makeup is fun to do for some women. Many teens do it because it’s a way of expressing themselves or being able to put on a different “costume” everyday. You could do a full glam day if you want and then the next day have a natural, glowing look.

You should always do what makes you happy. Some days you may want to put on a full face of makeup and others you may want to go natural without a trace of lipgloss. Don’t feel the need to do anything you don’t want to do for any reason.