Teachers Share Their Opinions on Fidget Spinners at Greenwood High

An example of a fidget spinner that students commonly use. They come in different colors.

By Aurea Logsdon, Reporter

Fidget Spinners, the new fad around American schools, has quickly become a distraction in classrooms. Even though many schools in the surrounding counties have already banned these spinners, Greenwood still lets their students use them. Teachers have been able to form their own opinions over the past few weeks that the fidget spinners have blown up nationwide.

Ms. Cale isn’t too harsh against students with fidget spinners. Currently, she doesn’t really notice them unless the class she is teaching is full of fidget spinners, but she understands how they are becoming banned at schools. “I could see that it could turn into a problem if enough of them came out, or if someone who had a fidget spinner was close to someone who maybe had ADHD, and now there would be a new stimuli for them to pay attention to,” she explains.

Ms. Cale thinks that it does help students in some aspects, but believes that there are much more efficient tools to help students who have ADHD, such as fidget cubes or tools that they put on top of pencils for students to move around.

Ms. Jenkins also agrees that it doesn’t really become a problem until a bunch of students start pulling them out and passing them around like toys. Fortunately, it hasn’t become a huge dilemma in her classes, in fact, she has only really had problems with about two kids becoming bigger distractions with their spinners.

On the other hand, Ms. Davis definitely thinks that fidget spinners are doing no good around Greenwood. Ms. Davis has a daughter who struggles to pay attention, but she would never want to give her a fidget spinner because she thinks that it might make her situation worse.

Overall, most of them agreed that there better methods and tools to help students with fidgeting in class. Most teachers are passive about the situation, and expect the popularity of fidget spinners to die out before they actually get banned at Greenwood.  “I think that they have become a toy to most students, and that they’re not actually being used for their intended purpose,” says Ms. Davis.