Athlete of the Week: Matthew Dishmon

(Left to Right) Chaz Zickus, Matthew Dishmon, Carlos Gomez, Byron Wood, Jackson Smith, and Jacob Ellis

By Reyna Russell, Reporter

(Left to right) Jacob Ellis, Elizabeth Peterson, Matthew Dishmon, Ashlyn McGeHee, Carly Miller, Madison Duncan, Byron Wood, Emma Harris, and Chaz Zickus

Many know Greenwood’s Senior Matthew Dishmon as one of the strongest defensive lineman on our football team. He has been playing football since first grade, and although he loves the sport (especially the brutality) he hates the two-a-day summer practices. He has recently signed to play at Kentucky Christian next season.

This year, Matthew decided take on a new challenge: joining the track and field team. He is Greenwood’s best male thrower, and has a significant shot at state this year, holding a PR of 40’2″. The transition, though rewarding, was not an easy one. “It’s [track] a lot different. They both involve strength, but shot put is a lot more about technique. If you don’t use good technique you could hurt yourself.”

Next year, he will be a freshman at Kentucky Christian. Going into college life, he is most looking forward to the freedom it brings. He will be spending the next four years all the way up in Grayson, Kentucky, so he hopes to start games by his sophomore or junior year. He plans to pursue a career either in physical therapy or business management.