Athlete of the Week: Maggie Gholston

By Reyna Russell, Reporter

Maggie Gholston is one of, if not the best, swimmers Greenwood has ever seen. It all began when she was eight years old. Following in the footsteps of her mother, who swam in college and went to Olympic trials, Maggie started her journey to the topearly. Since she placed fourth in the state at nine years old, her accomplishments have being getting more impressive every year. Her most recent accomplishments are being an All American high school swimmer (February 2017) and achieving a junior national cut at sectionals (March 2017) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Maggie’s favorite part about the sport is her teammates. “I would not be swimming if I did not have the people that I do.” However, her least favorite part is cruise sets.  To put it simply, for cruise sets, you are given a time, which is an average of your best times, and you have to do the next set (for example 10×100 free) holding that time on all of them. “When you see ‘cruise’ that’s how you know it’s gonna be bad.”

Maggie’s best stroke is freestyle, and coincidentally her best event is the 50 free. She has the junior nationals cut in the 50 free, and was on the Kentucky Zones team for both the 50 and the 100 free
this past summer. Her favorite event to swim, ironically, is one of the most hated events, the 400 IM (individual medley.) “You get to do all of the strokes, so it’s not like, boring. It’s new, and I think it’s exciting.”

As for her goals, Maggie definitely plans to swim in college. Her top schools are University of California-Berkeley and Auburn, but it all depends on the ranking of the swim teams in the next couple years. She also has plans to go to the Olympics in 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. She is less than a second away from making it to trials, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but when you only have two laps, it’s a lot.