STLP Shows Tech Skills at State

By Molly Carr, Writer/ Editor

STLP (Student Technology Leadership Program) members traveled to Rupp Arena in Lexington on Friday, April 22, to compete in the State Championship. The students who went to State had already competed in Regionals at WKU that was held in November earlier this year.

The students who competed in State could choose between entering in a Projects or Product category. Projects are initiatives created and implemented by a group over a long amount of time (that must both contribute to the community and use technology), such as a program to make musical instruments with a 3D printer or Greenwood’s Gator Literary Podcast, which shared student works through the internet.

Meanwhile, Products are single digital items that the students make and submit ahead of time, such as a video or piece of art, and which are judged prior to the State Championship. At State the members who created Projects had to then set up a table and pitch their idea to a group of judges. 

Greenwood had two Project teams compete. First was the Gator News Team, which consisted of Elizabeth Guthrie, Jordan Poteet, Haley Robey, Megan Cary, and Reed Mattison. They did not place as a team project. The Gator Literary Podcast also competed and got through to round two, but did not make it to round three. This team included: Devin Dettman, Adan Deeb, Rose Deeb, and Christine DiMeo.

Greenwood also had some individuals who competed in the Products area. They were:

Christine DiMeo: 1st place in Digital Storytelling

Sierra Earnhart: 2nd place in Art On Demand

Oscar Skean: 2nd place in Coding Challenge

Elizabeth Guthrie and Haley Robey: 1st place in Kentucky Travel Video

Tanner Willis: 1st place in the University of Kentucky’s Computer Science

The Gator News Team (Elizabeth Guthrie, Reed Mattison, Megan Cary, Jordan Poteet, and Haley Robey): 1st place in School Newscast.