Principal Dunn running for office?

BOWLING GREEN-This morning, April the 1st, GHS principal Mr. Dunn made a big announcement.

All of Mr. Dunn’s Twitter followers received a big shock at 5:26 a.m. today when the principal dropped some major news: he is running for mayor of Bowling Green.

“I’m very surprised,” said junior Molly Carr, after reading the tweet. Indeed, students and teachers all over the school were shocked, as the announcement came seemingly out of nowhere. However, Mr. Dunn says that he has been considering running for some time.

“One thing that inspired me was that my grandfather was a mayor for twenty-five years in a small town,” he says. “And, it’s just an opportunity to branch out and do something different.”

Mr. Dunn will begin his campaign over the summer in preparation for the November election, but he plans to finish out the 2015-16 school year solely as Greenwood principal.

The tweet, shown below, features his campaign hashtag, #DunnDeal. It’s part of his longer slogan, “It’s a #DunnDeal!”, which he says that he chose to show voters that he has confidence that he will win the election, just like he won The Daily Chomp’s Man of the Year award for the past six consecutive years, he adds.

dunn tweet
A tweet made by Mr. Dunn this morning announcing that he is running for mayor.

Mr. Dunn says his first action upon becoming mayor would be to address the frequent traffic jams on Scottsville Road by building additional lanes. “I would also raise the mayor’s salary and make it pay double what it pays now,” he adds.

Some wonder why Mr. Dunn is taking on such a big position so suddenly, such as freshman Sophie South, who reacted with, “Are you serious? Those are big shoes to fill.”

Mr. Dunn, however, feels that he is ready to take the next step in life. “Well, I’ve been in education for 30 years, and I like to have change every once in a while,” he says. “I’ve changed positions in education from teacher to guidance counselor to Dean of Students to assistant principal and now I’m a principal.”

“And I like to boss people around quite a bit, so I can be mayor and boss some other people around in town,” he adds. “It’s good to be the boss.”

Though maybe lacking in political background, Mr. Dunn has some big ideas for Bowling Green.

“It is getting a little bigger than what I grew up in,” he reflects, “so I would like to see it slow down a little bit. Although, I do want industry to come in and all that kind of stuff, and so I still want it to be a mix of both growth and progress, but at the same time still have a small town feeling.”

Many Greenwood students and teachers are upset by the thought that Mr. Dunn would be “abandoning” the school as principal. However, he assures the faculty and student body that he will not be leaving Greenwood, but instead will try to serve as both mayor and principal. He also insists that he will not forget the school, and in fact has a number of projects planned to improve the school.

If I become mayor, I am going to put a lot of money into Greenwood High School.

— Mr. Dunn, Greenwood principal and future BG mayor

“If I become mayor, I am going to put a lot of money into Greenwood High School,” he says. He plans to make Greenwood “a showcase school” that displays the greatness of Bowling Green to visitors, “like a palace almost”. His additions include more hallways, a larger cafeteria with “all kinds of neat things,” and “a big fountain inside the building”.

Perhaps the most radical item on his agenda is to use unconventional methods to boost student morale.

“I’m going to see if I can get it passed that we pay our students for being at school every day.”

Mr. Dunn appears to be a promising candidate with a lot of support in the community, especially from fellow educators.

“I think Mr. Dunn will make a fine mayor,” says Mr. Jim Davis, an English teacher. “I expect teacher salaries to rise in the near future.”

Even students began immediately to respond to the announcement with support.

“I would vote for him,” says senior Megan Jones. Molly Carr adds that, “I think it’s a natural step for him in advancing in life, and I think it’ll be good for him.”

Christian Brandon, a senior, says, “Mr. Dunn is the leader this city needs.”

Mr. Dunn is the leader this city needs.

— Christian Brandon, senior

Mr. Dunn asks that everyone get involved in the campaign by spreading the word through the #DunnDeal hashtag and by telling their friends and family. He promises that if he wins he will “make Bowling Green great again” and then “I may run for governor after that.”

Good luck to Mr. Dunn in his campaign and HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY GREENWOOD HIGH SCHOOL!