What Makes a Great Teacher?

By Helena Ysasaga, Reporter

Students complain about teachers.  Always saying that a teacher isn’t doing great at their job or doesn’t know how to teach. So what makes a good teacher? No. What makes a great teacher?

A good teacher is someone who listens to their students and takes into consideration that all students don’t work the same on processing information in a specific amount of time and knowing that every student is unique in their own way. The teacher has to know that their students are a group of individuals and we are all different.

A key to what makes a good teacher would be their style. Teachers need to try different ways to satisfy every student’s needs. One student might be a visual learner, but another can be an auditory learner, so it would be good if that teacher taught in all different ways so that every student would be happy to know they learned something new their way.

Another thing that makes a good teacher would be communication. That’s something I feel that lacks the most in schools. The fact that the teacher doesn’t know you as a person doesn’t really know that you might be afraid to ask a question, or are shy and don’t want to. If teachers really took time to get to know their students they would know their likes and dislikes, their abilities and disabilities, and even how they learn. But that is something that is all up to the teacher whether or not they want to get to know their students as individual beings and not a whole class as one.

Another would be if they put in the attitude that they actually want to be there and put in the enthusiasm that they love to educate the young beings who will grow with the knowledge they are being taught. Now not only is it the teachers but also the students which is why if the teacher is excited and active while teaching the students would be more awake during class and enjoy the lessons they are learning currently during that class.

When teachers build a relationship with their students. They have to build trust with every student and know they can come to that teacher with anything because then the student will have no problem going up to the teacher when they’re having trouble with the work or lesson. Other than that you can also talk that teacher with anything else that you need help with because the trust is there.

I asked a student, Kaydyn Massey, the same question, so her definition of what makes a great teacher is, “A great teacher is someone who makes learning fun, always focused, and is always prepared for class.”

Overall, teachers are the most important things ever because they are the people who teach use the knowledge we know today. We all learned things from not only our parents but our teachers as well.