A Midsummer Night’s Dream Preview

By Chanlar Mann, Reporter

Are you interested in Shakespeare, or just looking for a good laugh?  Well then come and watch Greenwood High School Drama produce one of Shakespeare’s most well-known comedies:  A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  The shows will be on Thursday, November 5th at 6 p.m. and Friday, November 6th at 7 p.m. in the GHS auditorium.  Cost of admission is $5 and tickets can be purchased at the door.

Mrs. Cassady, the show’s director, has a very unique interpretation of the play; they have moved the setting to the U.S. in the 1960s.  She says to think peace signs, flower children, and crazy hippie fairies!  The whole set and costume design is focused on that theme.  

In this rendition, the fairies will be nature-loving, free flowing “hippie” type characters.  The four lovers attend “Athens” High School.  The basic plot line is the journey of four lovers and their misguided adventures through the woods on a midsummer’s night. Their adventures are complicated by a mischievous fairy named Puck. There is also a group of mechanicals rehearsing a play for the duke’s wedding day, but Puck gets involved in that as well, turning the lead of the performance, one Nick Bottom, into a donkey, who becomes the object of affection the fairy queen. Hilarity ensues.  

The plot also focuses on three parallel stories:  the trials and experiences of two sets of lovers camping in a magical forest, the world of the Fairy King and Queen and their elves, and a group of rough craftsmen attempting to stage a production of “Pyramus and Thisby” for the wedding of the Duke of Athens.  The play deals with the universal theme of love and its complications:  lust, disappointment, confusion, and marriage.  The stars of the show are these following and talented Greenwood High School students:  Jannah Bolin, Gabe Nasato, Cody Wright, Christine DiMeo, Joe Moore, and Julia Adams.

Mrs. Cassady and the cast–as well as the backstage crew–have been working very hard to make the show the best it can be since the auditions in late August and early September. All of the sets and props were designed by students. Mrs. Cassady says that it is truly an example of the phenomenal artistic talent here at Greenwood High School.  If you would like to help sell tickets, or escort people at the show than you can talk to Mrs. Cassady (Room 156).

It is described to be a truly be a phenomenal show that will keep you at the edge of your seat, a timeless comedy you won’t want to miss!  So come down and see Greenwood’s first ever production of a Shakespeare play:  A Midsummer Night’s Dream.