“Humanz” Review

By Conner Hickman

“Humanz” is the fifth studio album by band Gorillaz. Gorrilaz are an English virtual band, with four animated members, “2-D” (lead vocals, voiced by Damon Albarn when singing and Kevin Bishop when speaking) “Murdoc Niccals” (bass guitar, voiced by Phil Cornwell,) “Noodle” (guitar, keyboard, currently voiced by Roses Gabor) and  Russel Hobbs (drums and percussion, voiced by Remi Kabaka, Jr.). The band was formed in 1998 by musician Damon Albarn and comic book artist Jamie Hewlett. The fictional members of the band are not personas of any of the real artists behind them, and rather  live in a fictional universe explored through the band’s website, music videos, short cartoons and other forms of media.

Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn, Creators of Gorillaz

Their most recent album, “Humanz,” is the Gorillaz’s fifth studio album after seven years of absence. Along with Albarn, the album contains guest artists Vincent Staples, Peven Everett, Popcaan,  De La Soul, Danny Brown, Kelela, Grace Jones,  D.R.A.M., Anthony Hamilton, Mavis Staples,  Pusha T, Jamie Principle,  Zebra Katz, Kali Uchis, Benjamin Clementine, and Jehnny Beth.  

Over the years they’ve created some great music, this album continues that trend, being  constantly engaging and vibrant, similar to their other works, but entirely different. While Humanz tracks are manley good, they leave a want for Albarn’s vocals which previous releases have been packed with, this record is more of peppered with 2-D/Albarn’s vocals. The first half of the album is crazy and colorful, with tracks like “Ascension” alluding to recent political and social. However, some of the tracks like “Carnival” feel awkwardly incomplete and fizzle out.

Animated band members Russel, Noodle, 2-D, and Murdoc.

My personal favorite track is “Let Me Out,” it features a blend of the band’s usual vocals alongside artist Mavis Staples and Pusha T.

While this album is lackluster at time, still has some great moments, and is definitely worth a listen.