Mother’s Day Gift Guide

Believe it or not, Mother’s Day is almost here! The day to celebrate the woman who brought you into this world is right around the corner. This year, Mother’s Day will be on May 13. Many kids plan to spend this day with their moms doing some pretty common Mother’s Day activities such as going out to eat, and gifting them with small presents such as flowers, cards, and more.

If this day has seemed to slip your mind and you find yourself not knowing what to get your mom, five affordable gift ideas are listed below and also where you can find them. There are also five gift ideas that you can actually make yourself without having to spend money.

Gifts you can buy:

1. Flower Bouquet

Flowers are a perfect and affordable gift for anyone, and Mother’s Day is basically a holiday for the floral company. Any mom would love to get flowers on her special day, and they can be found almost anywhere for not a big cost at all! These bright and gorgeous bouquets can make anyone’s day!

2. Jewelry 

This gift might seem expensive, but is really not. It all depends on where you decide to buy. Some brands and places may have their prices a little more on the expensive side. However, some retailers produce beautiful jewelry that won’t cost you as much. Here are five affordable jewelry designers: Baublebar, Shasi, Gorjana, Jules Smith, and Kenneth Jay Lane. 

3. Gift Cards 

Gift cards are often seen as a gift you typically get someone you don’t know all that well. But gift cards can actually be a very personal gift that someone will truly love. All you have to do is customize them to fit that person’s likes! For Mother’s Day you could get your mom a gift card to a place she really enjoys going to such as a spa, restaurant, shop, or salon!

4. Handbags/Purses 

Handbags are something any lady would love to receive. They typically lean more on the more expensive side, but once again, the prices always depend on where you buy them. You can easily find beautiful designer handbags for lower prices on websites such as overstock.com or even on amazon.com!

5. Taking Her Out to Dinner 

The best gift you could give your mom for Mother’s Day is definitely spending some quality time with her! One way to do this and also make it a gift from you, is to treat her to a family dinner. Tell her that you’re going to a place of her choice and instead of your parents paying, you pay! (Of course only do this if you can actually afford to take them out!)

If you are on a budget and can’t afford some of the ideas mentioned above, here are some alternatives:

1. Breakfast In Bed 

Surprise your mom with waking up to some of her favorite foods and a cute card. This thoughtful but inexpensive gift is guaranteed to make your mom happy. Some easy foods I recommend are bacon, eggs, and toast. You could also make the breakfast full of her favorite foods!

2. Make A Card 

This gift idea is very versatile. You can design one on the computer or make one out of construction paper. You can write a heartfelt letter or a silly pun to make her laugh. You can add stickers or ribbons to accessorize your card as well.

3. Make Dinner 

If you aren’t able to spend money to take the family to dinner at a restaurant, you can always make her favorite dinner right at home! You can treat the whole family to your mom’s favorite dish. There are many websites where you can find recipes. if you can’t make a whole meal by yourself, have the family pitch in!

4. Sweet Treats 

Instead of making a meal, you can make sweet snacks instead! You can make homemade Rice Krispies treats, chocolate-covered strawberries or cherries, brownies, cookies, cupcakes, or fudge. This option is adaptable to your mom’s favorites or any restricting allergies.

5. Chore “Coupons” 

You more than likely made things called “chore coupons” as a child as gifts to your parents. These are slips of papers that they could cash in where you do a certain task they ask you to. These are an easy option that she could cash in. Some examples are doing laundry, washing the dishes, washing the car, cleaning up the kitchen, or giving the dog a bath.